The death of a loved one can be even more difficult when it is the result of another person’s negligent, reckless, or malicious actions. In wrongful death situations, the victim’s surviving family is left with financial burdens, heightened emotional burdens, and confusion about how to move forward with their lives.
Families struggling with wrongful death have the option to sue the person who caused their loved one’s death. While no amount of money will ever replace your loved one, grief, anger, and sorrow can be alleviated by pursuing justice. At Scaffidi & Associates, we have decades of experience representing clients in wrongful death lawsuits, and are committed to helping suffering families in New York City and the surrounding areas get the justice they deserve.
What is Wrongful Death?
Under New York law, there are many different issues involved in a wrongful death claim. You must show that someone’s negligence caused or contributed to your loved one’s death. In addition, these negligent actions must also form the basis for a legal action which could have been pursued if your loved one’s death had not occurred. Finally, one or more of the deceased’s survivors must have suffered a recoverable loss as a result of the death – something the law refers to as pecuniary loss.
Proving all of these elements can be complicated, which is why it is important that you retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney to represent your family in a wrongful death matter.
What Situations Lead to Wrongful Death?
While there are many different kinds of circumstances which can cause wrongful death, some of the leading causes of wrongful death include:
- Car and truck accidents – Deadly car accidents often result from speeding, reckless driving, and driving under the influence. Additionally, collisions between commercial trucks and passenger vehicles often result in fatalities.
- Medical malpractice – While patients trust medical professionals to provide them with proper care, unfortunately, the medical providers do not always live up to this expectation. Misdiagnoses, surgical errors, and prescription mistakes often result in wrongful death.
- Product liability – Manufacturers have an obligation to produce safe products, but they do not always meet this responsibility. When a manufacturer makes a product that is either defectively designed or does not adequately warn of the risks associated with the product, death can result.
- Workplace accidents – While certain jobs are inherently dangerous, all workers have a right to a safe workplace environment. There are a broad variety of safety violations, negligent, or reckless conduct that can lead to fatal workplace accidents.
- Violent crimes – When a death results from a crime, it is also possible to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the perpetrator—even if that person is not convicted of the crime— or the perpetrator’s employer, or another third-party who had an opportunity to prevent the crime from occurring.
Is Your Family Suffering from a Wrongful Death?
Your family deserves justice, and while your loved one can never be replaced, holding those responsible for his or her death accountable can help provide your family with the closure and financial security you need. The attorneys at Scaffidi & Associates have decades of experience in providing compassionate and aggressive representation for families suffering from having lost a loved one throughout New York City and the surrounding counties. We will work tirelessly to obtain compensation for the financial losses your family has sustained, and to provide for your family’s future. Contact us today to discuss your options.
Posted in: Personal Injury Law, Wrongful Death